Williamsburg Virginia

My photo
Dave is an an Army brat and retired from the Air Force in 2006 and is now working as an AF civilian. Debbie works in real estate for a local firm. We both enjoy the outdoors and being 'tree-huggers' as we have been called. As tree-huggers, we enjoy feeding 'our' herd of backyard deer and their friends the squirrels, birds, foxes, possums, and raccoons. Between us we have seven kids and eleven grand-kids spread out from Virginia to Texas, to Idaho to Washington.

Friday, January 29, 2010

UPDATE Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!

Well, it hasn't hit us yet but I hope to see it slam into us overnight and tomorrow.  And, believe it or not, we'll actually be in town for the snow this time around!  I plan to head out early for some 4x4 driving on the Colonial Parkway and the historic areas - with camera in tow of course!  I'll post some more tomorrow!

UPDATE ........... UPDATE ........... UPDATE

Snow was supposed to start just after midnight but I woke up around 2:30 this morning and nothing. My first thoughts were of another blown over-hyped forecast but I kept my fingers crossed. Looked out again around 6:30 and it had started up (Debbie said it was around 3:30 when it started). I went back to bed (after all, it is a Saturday) and got up again around 9:30. I fed the birds (yes, they were waiting for us to feed them) and then got changed to go take the jeep out. Took a few shots of the house first though. Then on the way out I took a few of the neighborhood as well.

First stop was the Colonial Parkway of course.  It is beautiful on a normal day and fun to drive in the snow to boot.   Headed right for Colonial Williamsburg and found that I was among just a few folks that braved the weather to come out.  Some tourists were out as well (wearing visitor passes) so they enjoyed an extra bonus during their visit.
  
I walked Duke of Gloucester Street taking the snow and sleet head-on so only took a few pictures in that direction.  I made the turn and started taking some pictures coming back and then stopped off at one of the taverns and had a couple of oatmeal cookies and some hot chocolate - was a nice stop along the way.  Only thing missing was Debbie - but Debbie isn't one for cold and snow so she stayed at home and enjoyed the indoor warmth - can't say I blame her but I always try and get out in the snow.  Doesn't happen very often so have to take advantage of it when it presents itself.  Anyway, I digress. 

I headed down 'The Duke' again but took a side street over to an adjacent street which a lot of folks don't take - not that there was any type of crowd today.  Made my way over to the Governor's Palace (pictures with ornamental gate). 
I swung back around and then headed quickly by the church and back onto 'The Duke' one more time and over to Market Square (yes, all the shops were open - can't afford to miss those tourist dollars.)  Tourists remind me of a t-shirt I saw in Hampton once.  Keep in mind that the crowds are thick during 'tourist season' - anyway, I told Debbie I was going to get the t-shirt and she said she wouldn't go with me anywhere if I wore it - it says "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"  Sorry - but I love it!  But again, I digress.
 
After Williamsburg I headed down the parkway again towards Yorktown this time and discovered where all the people were.  There is a long hill that leads from the Yorktown Monument down to town on the York River - that is where everyone was - tons of folks sledding down this hill - but I'm sure they were all locals. 
         
After Yorktown I headed home. The double bridge pictured here is I-64 that heads east and west (although it physically runs north and south around here).
When I got home I took out a yardstick and took a measurement - not sure if it is accurate or not, but had a good five inches of snow. Probably more now but there is also a lot of sleet mixed in off and on. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the tour.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you got to play in the snow! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave - you have alot of good pictures here! Wish we were getting some snow. Even a 1/4 would be wonderful.......we could stay home from work!!!!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL .... thnx. It was a lot of fun driving around and especially getting out and taking pictures. Just wish Debbie would have come. /Dave

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment; we'll try and respond, if needed, as soon as possible. Thnx!