Williamsburg Virginia

My photo
Dave is an an Army brat and retired from the Air Force in 2006 and is now working as an AF civilian. Debbie works in real estate for a local firm. We both enjoy the outdoors and being 'tree-huggers' as we have been called. As tree-huggers, we enjoy feeding 'our' herd of backyard deer and their friends the squirrels, birds, foxes, possums, and raccoons. Between us we have seven kids and eleven grand-kids spread out from Virginia to Texas, to Idaho to Washington.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Caementarius Speaks ... for the first time


Dave here - lots to say but no audience - but I guess it beats having nothing to say to an audience. I've thought about 'blogging' for quite some time now - just never got around to it until now.  So, decided to create one both Debbie and I can share.

I usually have plenty to say driving to and from work but then again its only me so I'm pretty much a 'captive audience of one.' But, if the drivers in the other vehicles could actually hear what I have to say ..... hmmm .... okay, we won't go there. But then again, Debbie has a lot to say to me when we are in the car together. She says I am a terrible driver and make her ride very stressful - I say I'm not and offer no accidents (my fault anyway) in over 30 years of driving - she calls it lucky. Maybe she is right.

Also, she says I am no fun to travel with but has yet to offer up what the definition of 'fun travel' is all about. I'm envisioning a non-stop discussion on what ails the world and what we can do about it - which is pretty much 180 degrees from what a trip in the car for me is all about. Since I was a kid I have made an art out of watching the world go by out of every available window in a car (or train, or plane, etc) in relative silence. My own little world so-to-speak. Debbie on the other hand comes from a world where, I believe, silence is thought of as a mental disease of some sort - especially from the man-side of things. To tell you the truth, I'd probably be silent on trips between Mars and Venus since that is where we are all from apparently. Yes, I do read on occasion - in silence.

I grew up in a household of five - me the youngest of three kids, with a brother and sister to balance things out. Yea, I know, you are like a lot of people who swear they could pick out the youngest of a group of siblings at twenty paces - pure poppycock in my book. Anyway, I was talking about travelling. When we would take trips in the car I was relegated to the HUMP - you know, the middle seat with floor space usually raised to form a 'hump' about 8 to 12 inches higher than the rest of the back seat floorboard. That was my 'space' while my brother and sister occupied the coveted left and right rear seats next to the windows. Every now and then I would venture (by pure accident of course) into the forbidden zone left or right of me and would be accused of invading aforementioned brotherly or sisterly space. You would have thought the Mongols had attacked by the way they reacted. But I digress. From my perch on the hump I would just enjoy what flew by on my left, or right, or what was coming right at us - all in total silence. I never felt I needed to say anything because I was just enjoying the scenery as it went past. I'm told I get that from my Mom - going for a ride in the country was considered 'fun travel' in those days.

I've always been a silent traveller - but I'm trying. Like I said above, I asked Debbie what was her idea of 'fun travel was' but she never got around to answering the question (in all fairness I just asked the question tonight). First, she looked at me incredulously like it was pure stupidity on my part for asking the question (or maybe she thought I was kidding) but secondly, and more significant here, her cell phone rang and she was 'forced' to go off and start a conversation with a more willing participant - and there seem to be plenty of those in her world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment; we'll try and respond, if needed, as soon as possible. Thnx!